Friday, October 31, 2008

Emerging Evangelists.

The past couple of weeks I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit with several young Assemblies of God evangelists. I've been able to chat with them one-on-one and hear their passions as well as their frustrations. I have been able to let them hear my heart and know that someone really does care about them. I even had one evangelist tell me that they had been in ministry for about a year now and no one had ever called just to ask how they were doing - that really weighed heavily on me.

But God has been encouraging me by the young men and women who are answering the call to evangelistic ministry. Even though I hear some say that the day of the evangelist is over - I STRONGLY disagree. O.k., I'm a bit biased in that regard, but I truly do feel that the evangelist is one of God's gifts to the Church - and as a gift we can obviously choose to receive or reject it. There are obviously good and not-so-good ministers wherever you go, but I am seeing a generation of young people passionate about Jesus Christ and passionate about bringing honor and respect back to the office of the evangelist.

Our office has put together a new evangelist information packet that we send out free of charge to those folks sensing the call to evangelistic ministry. We just turned this on last month and we sent out 12 in September and 20 in October! That's telling me that God is still calling men and women to evangelistic ministry! How awesome to see God touching the hearts and minds of those willing to answer the call today and launch into a field of ministry that is challenging to say the least. Today, would you pray for our evangelists - that God would supply all of their personal and ministry needs? That opportunities would avail themselves in miraculous ways if need be? And that God would help give me guidance and wisdom in our national office initiatives - because He alone gets all the glory.

No comments: