Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Oh Deer!

Oh deer - yes deer - not dear. I have recently had the privilege of being on a rather large private college campus that also serves as a wildlife refuge. While the family and I were roaming around looking at the beautiful campus and scenery, we noticed deer feeding in the pastures, feeding around various buildings, as well as the sidewalk where we roamed one evening. It was one of the most incredible sights I had seen in a long time. I must have counted 30, 40, 50, and yes, even close to 70 deer feeding in the pastures - it was quite a sight!

The most intriguing observation was that the deer did not seem afraid of us as we walked by. If you got too close they would still run off, but for the most part they just looked at you and kept eating! They did not seem to have a care in the world, and were busy enjoying their greenery:). They certainly were not worried about tomorrow or next week - and certainly not about next year. A slightly different picture than most folks in our current economic situation.

I thought about how God provides for our every need, and how the Psalmist shares in Psalm chapter 37, verse 25 that he has never "seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread" (New International Version). The Lord also told us in Matthew chapter 6, verse 33 that he "will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern" (New Living Translation).

I hate to admit it, but I do have a tendency to worry about the future; where I need to focus my energies and what I need to prune out of my life. And I admit, I don't always succeed, but I do try to follow God's leading and not my own. I know God's plan for my life and family is perfect and if I can maintain a close relationship with Him, then He'll help me along life's path. I know there are some who feel that "religion" is a crutch, but I have found that my relationship with God is exactly that - a "relationship" - not a crutch. We still have responsibilities to shoulder in this life, but knowing that I have a relationship with a God who cares enough about me to help guide me along this path is truly encouraging - if not downright exciting!

No comments: