Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Take a break!

A couple of days ago I was doing some studying and felt like I couldn't join the rest of the family. They were outside enjoying the nice weather and truth be known, I wished I could have been with them but felt that I had to get some things accomplished. I set in to study and did get a little reading done, when the Holy Spirit seemed to impress upon me that I needed to take a break and go outside. I tried my best to resist the urge, but really felt like I was supposed to take advantage of a divine opportunity - or so I was telling myself as I wrestled with the idea of a "study break."

When I ventured outside, I found the "crew" coming down the road. Their initial goal of helping our daughter learn how to ride a bike had apparently not worked out so well. Brother walked by and said he had tried to help her but to no avail. Mom's patience had run out and so they were all heading back to the house. I felt it was my fatherly "duty" to take a stab at it and try to help our youngest focus on pedaling instead of balance - or lack thereof. Before long we were "hands free" and another bike rider was born. What a thrill for our youngest - and me as well.

This past week I have also been taking on the responsibility of helping my son learn to drive. It's really not too bad and he is doing a great job. I have also found that this scenario is a great opportunity for me to have some wonderful conversations - all while he is a captive audience:)! Honestly, it has been a great time of making memories and talking about things that may have seemed too trivial before.

This all seemed to remind me how fast our children grow up. I think it was just yesterday when I was changing diapers, wiping running noses, and kissing boo-boos. And now before we know it we'll have one less child in the house (o.k. - in 2 years). So I'm glad the Lord helps remind us that there are things more important in life than work, projects, and personal ambitions. It's leaving a legacy of godly children who love the Lord AND their parents after it's all said and done. So take a break when you feel like you can least afford to do so, and spend it with your loved ones - making memories every chance you get.

No comments: