Thursday, January 15, 2009

Prayer changes...

Prayer changes so many things. It is interesting that we often pray for God to change situations and help us out of hardships. I don't think this is necessarily wrong, but we probably pray for God to change something, or someone, for us far more often than we pray for God to change us! I say this because I recently found myself in a rather difficult spot. A certain series of circumstances were really weighing on my mind and I was getting angry over things that I really had no control over. I found that I had an extremely difficult time getting over my anger. You know...one of those things that hits you out of "left field" so-to-speak. I was not even expecting the situation and so I was hurt and a bit angry...o.k., a lot angry.

But the more I prayed the more the Lord began to show me that I was angry because I was not in control. I thought I knew what was best and when it did not happen that way I got upset. I supported my decision to be angry with all kinds of good Scriptures too! But the more I prayed, I knew the Lord was telling me that I needed to submit not only to Him, but to the authority that he had placed over me. As the Lord showed me that, the anger seemed to break. I knew that I could trust God to bring me through whatever might happen and He would do it better than I ever could. I suddenly remembered Philippians 2:14, "for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." My prayer for God to change others, had turned into an unexpected blessing for me - I was the one who needed changing...how about you?

No comments: